Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Bamboo Privacy Screen/Trellis

I am inspired by Zen garden ideas about importance of boundaries.  So as the first step in remodeling the southern balcony in Japanese style I built a bamboo trellis which doubles as a privacy screen.  I hope it will also help to fight the scorching heat while retaining the light breeze.
So here are the steps I took for this (not so) little DIY project:
Surprisingly enough I found out that bamboo fencing is the most economical way to acquire bamboo poles in quantity.  Prices vary so you will have to look around - I paid $69 tax not including.
I decided to use outdoor stain to protect bamboo from elements.  Online forums are full of opinions that cheap stains are just useless.  I decided to splurge and spent $40 on 1Gal of one.

When disassembling the fence I realized that the poles are dirty and will require thorough cleanup before the stain could be applied.  This all made the project surprisingly time consuming:
  • Disassemble the fence, wash poles. 
    Tip: Splinter alert! Use gloves!
  • Wait for the poles to dry.
  • Stain the poles.
  • Wait for them to dry.
  • I used 1x1 screwed to the railing for the poles to rest during assembly.  I decided to make it a permanent addition.  Thus staining of 1x1 is required.
  • Assemble the trellis.
    Tip: Use clamps to hold the next pole in place while tying it down.
I considered use of authentic knots Japanese use for this purpose but quickly realized this is too time consuming.  Hence black zip ties.  Authentic enough for me.
I think it looks good overall.  Even the stain drip lines which are mistaken for bamboo stripes!

No comments:

Post a Comment